The Trevor Project

Share information about any LGBTQ orginization or cause here. Be sure to include information about location, website and contact information.
Axle
Site Admin
Mood:
The Trevor Project

Post by Axle »

The Trevor Project is one of the more well-known LGBTQ organizations in the US. They founded in 1998 by the creators of the Academy Award winning short Trevor. They provide many programs for LGBTQ youth such as crisis interventions, suicide prevention as well as a social networking platform called TrevorSpace for youths ages 13-24. You can read more about the services they provide https://www.thetrevorproject.org/about/ ... -services/

The Trevor Project has a Lifeline which can be reached at 1-866-488-7386 they also have a instant messaging service (IM) called TrevorChat

That all being said a couple of things I need to say...

If you or someone you know is thinking of harming themselves, get help. As much as aim to help people, I am not trained in this area and unfortunately not always on the forums. The National Suicide Prevention Lifeline in the US is 1-800-273-8255 and can read more about the organization at https://suicidepreventionlifeline.org/

The other thing I think that is important to discuss is the role that LGBTQ forums plays here. I have been using forums for nearly 20 years, I have seen distressed people post of forums. As much as I'd like to think that I or other members can help someone, the vast majority of us are simply not trained to handle these sort of situations. But, we are here to talk and sometimes just being able to talk to someone is all someone wants. Believe me, when I was younger there have been times where I felt so depressed and lonely that I just didn't want to exist anymore, that's the best way I can think of to describe how I felt. Being a teenager is rough as it is and even though we're well into the 21st century and progress has been made in accepting people for who they are, it's far from perfect.

I don't possess the wisdom to know what the best thing to say here but I think others before me did. It is difficult to realize in the darkest moments that other people do care and love you. To quote Fred Rogers, "There's no person in the whole world like you, and I like you just the way you are," and we like you just the way you are. I do know and realize that it isn't as simple and perhaps a bit trite, but it is important to realize that things will get better and sometimes we need help to get through them. To steal another quote, "Love isn't a state of perfect caring. It is an active noun like struggle. To love someone is to strive to accept that person exactly the way he or she is, right here and now." I think we all need to take more lessons from Mister Rogers, if not to help lift someone up or to try to be better human beings but to help make the world a better place. Remember to love yourself more.

Hopefully in this rambling that I've been coherent enough to make sense and that it might help someone.